Thursday, June 6, 2013

More on Beets

Since beets are such a nutritional asset to my diet, I am trying to give them a second chance. I have to admit, I have never been a fan of beets in any form. I'm afraid I have neglected to give my family beets because of this bias.

I ordered a wrap from a raw food restaurant. It came with raw beets! There were so many vegetables and tofu in it that I couldn't even taste the beets! The beets were in julianne slices. An easy addition to many foods. I will be trying that again. You can add beets to many foods for color and slight flavor.

Here is a recipe that looks and tastes great. It has lots of fiber too.

Beet Dip

Ingredients:
3 medium beets – scrubbed with greens cut off
Juice of one lemon
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 can small white beans – drained and rinsed
1/2 cup toasted walnuts (cashews or pine nuts would make good substitutes)
1 clove garlic
Dippers (I love carrot sticks, but it is even better with pita chips)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Wrap beets in foil after drizzling with enough olive oil to just coat them.
3. Roast beets for 1 hour or until soft.
4. Allow beets to cool and then peel them (they WILL stain your fingers, countertop, and clothing. Wear gloves if possible and be sure to clean up right away).
5. In a food processor, combine all ingredients and grind until smooth.
6. Serve with assorted dippers. Veggies, pita chips, or tortilla chips work great!

No comments:

Post a Comment