Friday, November 6, 2015

Celery

We have looked at celery before, but are we really taking it seriously enough? It is such an available, easy-to-eat vegetable.      

Can something as simple as celery lower your blood pressure? Using the recommended dosages to lower mild cases of high blood pressure, one would eat about four ounces of celery (about a cup of chopped celery) daily. You should begin to see results after only a week or two.  Juicing 2 stalks of celery per day would also achieve the same results.

That's not all this under-rated vegetable does. Eating only two stalks of celery a day has been shown to lower cholesterol levels by upwards of 7%. The presence of butylphthalide (an oil which gives celery it's peppery taste and smell) has been tested and shown to treat hypertension in animals and protect cholesterol levels with its powerful antioxidant properties. This essential oil reduces bad cholesterol and aids in the production of healthy cholesterol.

Celery also reduces inflammation. Since inflammation is the starting cause of ALL disease that would be an important food to eat.

Unlike most nutrient rich vegetables, celery contains both soluble and insoluble fiber. When compared to kale, celery has as much soluble fiber in a serving as cooked kale has in a 1/2 cup serving.

The phytochemicals in celery also prevent swelling and tissue inflammation, a primary source of pain in older adults. These healthy chemicals also rev up the body’s natural defenses by ramping up white blood cells which fight malicious bacteria – including carcinogens.

Of all the many benefits of celery, the one that got my attention was that it reduces the wear and tear in the brain that causes dementia. I will have to admit, I don't like celery. But to avoid dementia, I will start eating it anyway! It is going into my salads and soups. I bet I can hide it in my morning smoothie! I have found that I actually enjoy it in a Waldorf Salad (email me for a healthier version).

While there is no one thing that is the "wonder food",  adding more of each of the outstanding foods available to us will enhance our lives and bring back the balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment