Thursday, November 29, 2012

All Toothpaste is NOT Created Equal

Toothpaste

All toothpaste is the same, right? Crest, Colgate, Close-up, Sensodyne, Aim.....the list could go on and on. 

What do all these toothpastes have in common? They all contain fluoride and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. Fluoride has always been thought to be a good thing. It has been found to strengthen the dentine on teeth. However, it does not seem to prevent decay. Fluoride is neither a nutrient nor essential to health. Fluoride deficiency does not lead to tooth decay. Poor diet causes cavities and fluoride can’t fix poor diet. 

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) is there for the foaming effect. It is also found in shampoos and creams. Like fluoride, SLS is very controversial. It is said to cause cancer. You will find pros and cons to using it.(http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/07/13/sodium-lauryl-sulfate.aspx)

My personal opinion of these chemicals being added to toothpaste is: why add chemicals to your body if it is not necessary. We use toothpaste multiple times every day. If in doubt, get it out. There are many products on the market today that get the job done without adding these chemicals to them: Tom’s of Maine, Jason’s, Nature’s Gate. In Australia I have found Macro Whole Foods toothpaste which is the Woolworth's Brand (it costs less than 3$ a tube, which is cheaper than the leading brands). Some of these may cost more than the standard brands, but prevention is always cheaper than medical treatment.

On a personal note: I have found that taking these chemicals out of my toothpaste has eliminated the sensitivity in my teeth. On occasion I have reverted back to fluoride and SLS and the sensitivity comes back. Such a simple thing...it’s worth a try. 

2 comments:

  1. I've had a terrible time with canker sores. My dentist said it was the whitening agents in the toothpaste (which is amazingly in like every toothpaste out there!) I've been using sensodyne but I will look into another one now. I am loving your blog Mrs B!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also... Taking the whiteners has really helped. No more sores!

    ReplyDelete