Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Sugar Subs

OK, just one more about sugar, then I'll get off this kick (for a while), I promise. I have been learning so much about the types of sugar we use and trying to live what I've learned. I am a sugar addict. I have now been off sugar (fructose) for two months and can really feel the difference. I feel more in control of my eating. I'm not saying I will never eat fructose again.....I do like to have my cake and eat it too.....but not as a daily habit like before. I must state here that I am not talking about any of the sugar (including fructose) in fruits and vegetables. Fruits and vegetables in the whole form should not be limited. Let's face it, it would be hard to eat any harmful amount if you eat the whole fruit.

When you quit sugar there are a host of sugar substitutes that are used in recipes and food products to replace the sweetness. Many of these I have recommended in the past thinking they were the answer. Unfortunately most of them are still packed full of fructose (the bit we’re trying to avoid), and in some instances contain more fructose than regular table sugar. Beware!

Sucrose is also known as white table sugar, brown sugar, raw sugar and rapadura sugar. It contains 50 per cent fructose and 50 per cent glucose.

Agave is a sugar substitute made from the same Mexican succulent that tequila is made from. It contains roughly 90 per cent fructose – higher than sucrose! Look out for it in “health” bars and chocolate.

Coconut sugar/nectar/syrup, you’ll often find one of these variations of coconut sugar in many health food products. Unfortunately it contains anywhere between 38 per cent to 48.5 per cent fructose, which is almost the same amount found in sucrose. (There are some positives: It is the most nutritious of the possible sugars. It’s the single most sustainable sweetener in the world. Coconut sugar has an extremely low glycemic index of 35. However, it still has significant amounts of fructose)

Honey, whether it’s raw or organic doesn’t matter when it comes to fructose content. Honey contains 40 per cent fructose, which is only 10 per cent less than sucrose. There are many health benefits of honey, so you will have to listen to your body on this one.

Maple syrup is often used as a healthier sugar alternative. Unlike other sugar substitutes it does have some health benefits but still contains up to 40 per cent fructose.

Dates are often used to sweeten “sugar-free” recipes, but they contain roughly 30% fructose. Plus they often need to be used in large quantities to get the same sweetness.

Rice malt syrup is made from fermented cooked rice. It’s a blend of complex carbohydrates, maltose and glucose. It’s 100 per cent fructose free. It is my fructose-free sweetener of choice.

Stevia is a plant-based sweetener. It’s completely fructose free and 300 times sweeter than sugar. It’s great in recipes where you want to add a little sweetness, but avoid using it in large quantities as it can have a bitter aftertaste. A drop or two of liquid stevia in a hot cup of tea is perfect!


If you'd like to know more about this subject you can find my sugar-free inspiration at www.iquitsugar.com. My daughter recently gave me the book, Simplicious, and I have gleaned so much from it, including some great recipes. As always, if you have any questions please feel free to contact me at gale4health@yahoo.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment