Wednesday, October 30, 2019

I'm thankful for chocolate......

The subject of Sugar has been beaten to death, but yet most of us are still addicted to it in one form or another. We all know it isn't good for us, but yet......My own personal addiction is in the form of CHOCOLATE. Chocolate is everywhere. It is good to have a 'defensive plan' in place before it hits. My own way of dealing with it is to have healthier choices available so I don't feel deprived by not indulging in the sweet temptations. It is just like any healthy eating options, you have to plan ahead and make a commitment to do it. The only bad part about making your own chocolate bars is that they have no preservatives or chemicals in them so they melt at room temperature. If you take them out of the refrigerator, you have to eat them all. (oh darn!) Here is my favorite - play with it and make it your own! 

Chocolate Bark (or as we say Down Under - Chocolate Slice)

1 cup coconut oil
1 cup almond butter (or any nut butter)
1/2 cup raw Cacao powder
1 tablespoon raw Maca powder
1/2 cup honey, maple syrup, date syrup or rice syrup (rice syrup has no fructose in it but it isn't as sweet tasting, which I like because since giving up white sugar, I find I don’t want it so sweet. In fact I cut back to 1/3 cup when I use honey or maple syrup)

In saucepan, on low heat, melt coconut oil and nut butter, add and stir sweetener, cacao and maca. Pour onto tray lined with parchment paper. (Parchment paper hack: if you wad it up into a ball, then flatten it out again, it will stay put better in the corners) Sprinkle with whatever your favorites are, i.e.: nuts, coconut, blueberries. Place in fridge or freezer until set, about 15 minutes. Cut into squares for a healthy treat.

I’ve tried all four sweeteners and my favorite is organic date syrup which is simply pureed dates and a little water.

1 comment: